Pasta Fagioli with Fresh Pesto
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 1 pc small onion chopped
- 3-4 pcs medium garlic cloves finely minced
- 4 cups chicken stock preferably homemade, divided
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp basil dried or
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary finely chopped or
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- pinch red pepper flakes crushed (optional)
- 3 pcs medium tomatoes finely chopped seeds and pulp removed
- 2 pcs medium tomatoes seeds and pulp removed, pureed
- 3/4 cups ditalini or elbow pasta uncooked
- 1 can cannellini beans with liquid
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh pesto recipe included
In a heavy bottomed pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add celery and onions and sauté until tender, but not mushy. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds to one minute. Do not brown.
Add 2½ cups of chicken broth to pot. Season with oregano, basil, rosemary and crushed red pepper flakes, if desired. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Add chopped and pureed tomatoes to pot. Simmer on low for 20 – 25 minutes. Add uncooked pasta and cook until tender. Approximately 10 minutes.
Add beans and reserved liquids to pot and heat through. Ladle into bowls and tops with a dollop of fresh pesto, if desired.
Serve with freshly grated or shaved Parmesan cheese and crusty Italian bread.